An Unwelcome Reminder
Suffering from acne is a traumatic experience in and of itself. Cycling through different treatment options desperately trying to find the one that works for you can be exhausting. And then there's what lays in its wake once you've finally cleared it all up, the scars.
Acne scars can take on a number of different forms and they're not all cut from the same cloth. Depending on which forms your unwelcome reminders take could decide how easy or difficult they are to get rid of.
Types of Acne Scars
- Atrophic scars - These are the depressed scars most common to the face. As the moniker 'depressed scars' entails, these acne scars sit below the surrounding skin. They're caused by a lack of collagen being produced during the healing process.
- Boxcar - These are a variety of atrophic or depressed scars. With a wide, u-shaped appearance, they can be shallow or deep and the shallower they are the easier they are to treat.
- Ice pick - Narrow v-shaped atrophic scars, called 'ice pick' scars are typically much deeper and as a result much more difficult to treat.
- Rolling - Rolling scars are wide, irregularly shaped scars with rounded edges.
- Hypertrophic scars - Scars that are hypertrophic, reside above the surface of the surrounding skin and are caused by the production of too much collagen during the healing process (most common in body/back acne).
Dr. Mayli Davis offers a variety of potential solutions for remedying acne scars.
- Microdermabrasion - an exfoliating technique used to erode away dead layers of skin, exposing fresh layers while also reducing pore size. Microdermabrasion lightens, smoothens, and regenerates collagen production. This technique benefits from a chemical peel as well.
- Chemical peel - an acid solution is used to remove a damaged outer layer of skin. This procedure is done to reduce or eliminate acne scarring, fine lines, uneven pigmentation, and to rejuvenate skin.
- LightPod Neo by Aerolase - a gentle, versatile laser device is used to treat a variety of skin conditions including acne, scarring, sun and age spots.
Tired of Suffering?
Acne is bad enough on its own, not to mention having to deal with the scars. If you are tired of dealing with unsightly marks leftover from pimples or any other source, call Dr. Davis today at 817.778.4444 for a free consultation or visit our contact page so we can give you back the face you've always had.