Keeping Skin Safe in the Summer
You've likely heard the same thing over and over about the importance of sunscreen to keep skin safe and lower your chances of developing skin cancers. Of course, summer is the most important time of the year to remember this because of how much exposure our skin gets during these hottest month of the year. But, protecting skin from the side effects of summer involves more than just putting sunscreen on before a day by the pool or at the beach. Here are a few other things to keep in mind when it comes to summertime and your skin.
- Switch out your heavy-duty moisturizer that is perfect for winter for a lightweight one over the summer months.
- Apply an antioxidant serum under your sunscreen and other skin products each morning. Not only does this make skin visibly brighter and more even, but it also helps protect the skin from free radical damage.
- Exfoliate once or twice a week, depending on your needs, to help unclog pores from the sweat and oil that come with sweating in the summer sun.
- Eat more watermelon and other fruits and veggies high in lycopene. Lycopene helps fight skin damage and reduces the effects of UV exposure.
- Eat more lemons and berries. These have properties that help fight inflammation in the skin. You can squeeze some lemon into your water each day or add berries to your morning smoothie.
- Sweating is actually good for your skin because it helps clear pores, but you should still try to shower right after working out or working up a sweat doing anything outdoors. If you can't shower, wash your face or use a face wipe until you can.
When the seasons change, it's important to change up not only your skin routine, but also your product lineup. Choosing lightweight products can help skin stay fresh and breathable in the summer while the heavier stuff is great for keeping skin hydrated in the drier, colder months. For more skin care tips or to schedule a consultation at our office, call us today at 817-778-4444.